Because it is Fall Break next week (October 3rd thru October 7th), Challenger gym will change its schedule for next week only. Monday through Friday it will be open for pickleball 9 am – Noon. The gym closes at 6 pm, so there will be no evening play.
Challenger Gym, Thursday and Friday play update.
Challenger Gym, Thursday and Friday play update: we will now share the gym with volleyball practice on Thursday and Friday evenings. The two courts on the left side of the gym will be open for pickleball play.
Challenger Gym – August schedule Update
Monday, August 1st, is the last day for daytime play, so the gym will be open from Noon – 5:30 pm for open play. After Monday, this will be the weekly time schedule:
- Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays – open play, 4:30 pm – 7:30 pm, entire gym.
- Tuesdays and Wednesdays – open play only on 2 courts, 4:30 pm – 7:30 pm. We are sharing the gym with basketball, if people show up to play. If no one shows up, then all courts can be available.
Challenger Gym – August schedule
This week is the last week the Challenger gym will be open all day due to school starting at the beginning of August. For August, we will have the gym from 4:30 pm – 7:30 pm every evening for pickleball. The gym staff will need to be out of the building by 8 pm. Some days we will share the gym with basketball, but we are getting first choice of days for the full gym. We are coordinating with the gym staff and will announce a schedule soon. In September, the schedule will potentially change again.
Facility Availability during the Holidays.
Huntsville Parks & Recreation centers and facilities will be closed Dec. 24-25. Centers with regular Sunday hours will be open Sunday, Dec. 26.
The City of Huntsville’s municipal offices will be closed for all non-essential personnel in observance of the New Year’s holiday on Friday, Dec. 31, and will reopen Monday, Jan. 3, 2022.
Saturday and evening play will soon end at Fern Bell.
Effective 15-Nov-2021, evening play and Saturday play will no longer be available at Fern Bell. Basketball season has arrived. Sunday play will continue for a while.
Brahan Spring Recreation Center is open for play.
Brahan Spring Recreation Center is now open for play. The floors have been refinished and taped.
Shurney, Fern Bell, Max Luther and Optimist are back open for pickleball.
The following gyms are back open for pickleball. The gym floors have been refinished and the courts re-taped.
Shurney Legacy Center
Fern Bell Recreation Center
Max Luther Drive Community Center
Update on facility closings due to floor refinishing.
We were just notified that gym floor refinishing at some of the facilities will start one day earlier than originally scheduled. This may be because the refinishing project at Optimist has been delayed. The court tape at Optimist has already been removed, so play is not available at this time. Depending on the delay, we may re-tape the court. Please check the website https://www.pickleball-huntsville.com/locations.php for updates. Here is the latest information available to us:
- ALL Huntsville recreation centers will be closed on Monday, September 6th, 2021 for Labor Day.
- Fern Bell will be closed for floor refinishing starting on Monday, August 30, 2021. We’re hoping to have it ready for play by September 7th.
- Shurney will be closed for floor refinishing starting on Wednesday, September 1, 2021. We’re hoping to have it ready for play by September 8th.
- Max Luther will be closed for floor refinishing starting on Thursday, September 2, 2021. We’re hoping to have it ready for play by September 8th.
- Brahan Spring will be closed for floor refinishing starting on Tuesday, September 7, 2021. We’re hoping to have it ready for play by September 12th.
Floor Resurfacing at Huntsville Gyms
Floors will be resurfaced at Fern Bell (starting Monday), Optimist Park (starting Tuesday), Shurney Center (starting Thursday), Max Luther (starting Friday). The Club will need to retape the floors before we can play again. We’re hoping to have Fern Bell ready by Tuesday morning September 7, Optimist Park by Tuesday afternoon Sept 7, Shurney Center by Wednesday September 8, and Max Luther by Wednesday September 8. We have to work around the holiday weekend. The dates the courts will be ready may change. Weather can dictate how quickly the courts can cure and it looks like there may be some hurricane driven rain in our forecast next week. I’ll try to keep you updated!